How do I know when my gluten-free muffins turn out to be just right? Well in my opinion, they need to pass the 3 “Ms” test of course. Here are my indicators:
- When you take the first bite you make the “Mmmm” sound.
- It is decadently Moist.
- The best part is it Melts in your mouth.
As I popped these blueberry banana chia coconut muffins into my mouth I thought “Mmmm, not bad at all”. I had many coconut muffin failures in the past and this one is a keeper (also kid-approved) which I will definitely make again.
I came across this recipe after buying a bulk of Nutiva coconut flour during our Costco run last week. I almost placed it back on the shelf, but noticed a recipe on the back that caught my attention. I was definitely sold and imagined so many variations of this recipe. For this one, I followed the recipe, but added banana and mandarin zest and squeezed out the juice. Initially, I almost used lemon but I wanted to add something different.
First, I mixed all the dry ingredients then wet ingredients together.
Coconut flour loves to absorb a lot of moisture than regular flour, so I was a bit worried after noticing the mixture to be a bit dry and clumpy looking, but not to worry. Lastly, I folded in the chopped bananas, chia seeds, blueberries, mandarin zest and squeezed juice.
I popped those babies in the preheated oven. Took them out when they were golden brown and spread each one with organic butter. The best part was biting into the warm muffin after the butter melted…so comforting and yummy!
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 6 eggs
- 4 tbsp melted organic coconut oil
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup fresh organic blueberries
- 1 small banana or 2/3 cup chopped banana
- zest of whole mandarin
- freshly squeezed mandarin juice *sorry I didn't pull exact measurements
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix all dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl mix all the wet ingredients then mix it with dry ingredients
- Fold in all fresh ingredients together and pour in all ingredients in greased or lined muffin tins
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from oven and spread coconut butter or any other butter on each muffin and let cool.
- Serve and enjoy the yummy muffins!